These decadent little chocolate truffles, which are free of gluten, dairy and refined sugar, will please adults and children alike, including the fussiest members of your family. They are also suitable for grain-free, Paleo and vegan diets. And they can be made in just a few minutes. The combination of ground dates and nuts makes a great “dough” that is fun to work with and offers so much more nutrition than store-bought truffles.
Makes: 24 truffles
- ½ cup (120 mL) water
- 2 Tbsp (30 mL/28 g) Holy Crap or Skinny B cereal
- 1¼ cups (300 mL) hazelnuts (or other nuts)
- 1¼ cups (300 mL) Medjool dates, pitted 2 tsp (10 mL) vanilla extract
- 3½ Tbsp (50 mL) cocoa powder
- ¼ tsp (1 mL) salt
- ¾ cup (180 mL) shredded coconut (or finely chopped nuts)
- Pour the water into a bowl, stir in the Holy Crap or Skinny B cereal and let sit for 5 minutes. Set aside.
- Grind the hazelnuts in a food processor, then add the dates and grind again until you have a smooth consistency. Transfer the mixture to a large bowl and add the vanilla, cocoa powder, salt and soaked cereal. Stir until well combined.
- Place the shredded coconut in a shallow bowl.
- Shape the truffles by scooping a tablespoonful of the hazelnut mixture into your hands and rolling it between your hands to form a ball. Roll the ball in the coconut and set aside. Repeat with the remaining hazelnut mixture.
- Transfer the truffles to an airtight container and refrigerate until ready to eat (up to 1 week). They’ll soften quickly at room temperature.
Thank you to Lisa Cantkier, holistic nutritionist and founder of GlutenFreeFind.com, for contributing this recipe.
Nutrition Facts for Hazelnut Chocolate Truffles
NUTRITION FACTS: PER 30 G SERVING (1 TRUFFLE). Calories (140) Total Fat (10 g) including Omega-3 (75 mg) and Omega-6 (60 mg) Total Carbohydrates (13 g) Dietary Fibre (3 g) Protein (3 g) Provides 11% of your daily iron needs based on a 2000-calorie diet.
You won't find a simpler crispy cracker recipe. Our 2-ingredient Skinny B crackers are Gluten Free, Dairy Free, and...
Dark Chocolate Bark
These rich, dark, rustic pieces of handmade love will satisfy your chocolate craving, and they’re easy to make. Doubl...
Our Two-Ingredient Holy Crap Plus Gluten Free Oats breakfast cookies have a satisfying chewiness. The natural sweetne...