Adding Holy Crap or Skinny B cereal to rice and other cooked side dishes is one of the easiest ways to make them more nutritious. It also makes them more filling. Serve this side dish with fish or chicken dishes like the Skinny B-Encrusted Salmon or the Walnut- Crusted Chicken.
"This side dish is hearty and packed with fiber as well as good fats from the coconut milk." Erika Weissenborn B.Sc. FNH, CHN
Makes: 4 Servings
- 1 Tbsp (15 mL) coconut oil
- 3 Tbsp (45 mL) chopped onion
- ¾ cup (180 mL) brown basmati rice cup
- 2/3 cup (160 mL) vegetable stock cup
- 2/3 cup (160 mL) water
- ¼ cup (60 mL) white wine (or substitute more vegetable stock)
- ½–¾ tsp (2.5–4 mL) salt
- 2 Tbsp (30 mL/28 g) Skinny B cereal
- 1/3 cup (80 mL) coconut milk
- 2 Tbsp (30 mL) freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup (250 mL) chopped baby spinach leaves
- Sliced green onions (or fresh herbs), for garnish
- Heat the coconut oil in a heavy saucepan over medium heat. Add the onions and sauté until translucent. Stir in the rice and cook, stirring constantly, for about 5 minutes. Add the stock, water, wine, and salt, mix well and bring to a rolling boil while stirring. Cover, reduce the heat to low and simmer for about 25 minutes until all the water is absorbed. (Check the rice after 20 minutes, then every 5 minutes until it is done.)
- Fold in the Skinny B cereal, coconut milk, cheese and spinach leaves. Remove from the heat and let sit for about 5 minutes.
- Stir, spoon into a serving dish and garnish with green onions or herbs.
Tip: For a special Valentine’s Day meal, mold the pilaf in a ramekin or heart-shaped dish before serving. Lightly coat a 4-oz (112-g) ramekin with coconut oil, fill it with the pilaf and invert onto a serving plate. Repeat for each serving.
Nutrition Facts for Rice and Spinach Pilaf recipe
NUTRITION FACTS: PER 96 G SERVING. Calories (150) Total Fat (6 g) including Omega-3 (500 mg) and Omega-6 (415 mg) Total Carbohydrates (21 g) Dietary Fibre (2 g) Protein (4 g)
Dark Chocolate Bark
These rich, dark, rustic pieces of handmade love will satisfy your chocolate craving, and they’re easy to make. Doubl...
Our Two-Ingredient Holy Crap Plus Gluten Free Oats breakfast cookies have a satisfying chewiness. The natural sweetne...
A special thanks to Kathy Smart, TV Host, Chef and Nutritionist of "Live The Smart Way" TV show - North America's fir...