Holy Crap cereal Energy Balls are a great post-workout or mid-afternoon snack.
Corin loves dates, and she uses them in both sweet and savoury dishes. Early in her career as a flight attendant, dates were her “fast food”—quick snacks that fit in her carry-on and didn’t need refrigeration.
These energy balls made with dates are fun and easy for kids to make, and they’re a great alternative to packaged granola bars, which are usually packed with hidden oils and sugars.
Dates are quite high in fruit sugar, so these are a treat, but they are also a good source of fiber and they have 50 percent more potassium by weight than bananas. All that potassium is good for your heart and your digestion.
Makes: 8 energy balls
- 5 oz. (140 mL) Medjool dates, pitted (about 9 dates)
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) raw almonds
- 1 Tbsp (15 mL) raw unsalted sunflower seeds
- 2 Tbsp (28 g) Holy Crap cereal
- 2 Tbsp (30 mL) dried cranberries
- 1 1/2 tsp (7.5 mL) raw unsalted pumpkin seeds
- 1/2 tsp (3mL) cinnamon
- pinch of salt
- In a food processor, pulse the dates and almonds until they are mostly ground up. Some larger pieces are okay.
- Transfer the date mixture to a medium bowl, add the remaining ingredients and mix well.
- Pinch off a tablespoon-sized amount of dough and roll it between your palms to form a ball (or flatten it like a cookie if you prefer). Repeat with the remaining dough. Arrange the energy balls on a plate and refrigerate until needed. They will keep refrigerated in an airtight container for several days.
Nutrition Facts for Holy Crap Energy Balls
NUTRITION FACTS: PER 42 G SERVING (1 ENERGY BALL). Calories (180) Total Fat (9 g) including Omega-3 (312 mg) and Omega-6 (250 mg) Total Carbohydrates (22 g) Dietary Fibre (4 g) Protein (5 g)
A special thanks to Kathy Smart, TV Host, Chef and Nutritionist of "Live The Smart Way" TV show - North America's fir...
Holy Crap is a favourite among athletes as well. Sunshine Coast local, Kyla Richey of Robert's Creek, BC, is on the C...
Apple Cheddar Bites
Cheddar and apple are a classic pairing, and these make-ahead appetizers are perfect for entertaining. Plan to keep a...