Did you know that adding nuts or seeds to vegetables and fruit increases our ability to absorb their phytonutrients? These naturally occurring compounds give fruit and vegetables their colour and protect the plants from disease. In our bodies, they provide anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties. Make this salad in a jar in the morning and it will still be crisp when you’re ready to eat it at lunchtime.
"Satisfying and nutrient dense salads like this one will keep you on track throughout the day. Make the right choices for lunch so you don't end up with the dreaded mid-afternoon energy crash!"- Erika Weissenborn B.Sc. FNH, CHN
Creamy Lemon Dressing Ingredients
- 3 Tbsp (45 mL) olive oil mayonnaise or plain non-fat Greek yogurt
- 1 Tbsp (15 mL) freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a small bowl, whisk together all the ingredients until well combined. Set aside.
Salad Directions for Mason Jars
- 2 cups (475 mL) romaine lettuce (roughly of a head), torn into bite-sized pieces
- 1 stalk celery, sliced
- ½ apple (red or green), unpeeled but chopped and tossed in lemon juice
- ½ cup (120 mL) seedless red grapes, cut in half
- ¼ cup (60 mL) walnuts (optional)
- 1 Tbsp (15 mL/14 g) Skinny B cereal
- Divide the dressing between two 16-oz (500-mL) glass jars with lids. Placing half the ingredients in each jar, top the dressing with half of the lettuce, followed by layers of celery, apple, grapes, walnuts, and cereal. Finish with the remaining lettuce. Seal the jars.
- Shake well before eating.
NUTRITION FACTS: PER 160 G SERVING WITH 2 TBSP (30 ML) DRESSING. Calories (135) Total Fat (4.5 g) including Omega-3 (1 g) and Omega-6 (0.5 g) Total Carbohydrates (23 g) Dietary Fibre (6 g) Protein (5 g) Provides 84% of your daily vitamin A needs based on a 2000-calorie diet.