A favorite winter dessert around our house is this creamy coconut rice pudding. It's a healthier, and tastier version, of a classic rice pudding. I like how the tang of the orange peel balances its heartiness. For every day I’ll serve it in a small ramekin. For company, it's easily dressed up in a martini glass with a garnish.
- The fat in coconut is made up of MCT oils (medium chain triglycerides) which are different from the fat we store on our body.
- This fat is metabolized differently than most dietary fats. It is highly utilizable for body energy functions.
- It can actually boost your metabolism and help you to lose weight!
- Although coconut is a saturated fat - it is a different form than animal fat and always free of cholesterol.
- Coconut fats are great for cooking because they don't oxidize with heat as do many liquid vegetable oils.
- Coconut milk is a great alternative to dairy! Great quality fats with no lactose or cholesterol!"
Serves: 5 - 6
- ½ cup (120 mL) water
- 2 Tbsp (30 mL/28 g) Holy Crap cereal
- ¼ cup (60 mL) arborio rice
- 1 can (13.5 fl oz/400 mL) coconut milk
- Orange zest
- 2 Tbsp (30 mL) honey, maple syrup or sugar
- Ribbons of fresh coconut, for garnish
- Orange peel, cut into ribbons, for garnish
- Soak Holy Crap cereal in water for 5 minutes
- Stir soaked cereal with remaining ingredients
- Pour into a glass 8 X 8 pan
- Bake at 250 degrees F. for about 1.5 hours - stirring gently halfway through baking time
- Garnish with fresh coconut shavings and orange peel
Nutrition Facts for Coconut Rice Pudding
NUTRITION FACTS: PER 115 G SERVING. Calories (270) Total Fat (15 g) including Omega-3 (750 mg) and Omega-6 (625 mg) Total Carbohydrates (25 g) Dietary Fibre (2 g) Protein (5 g)
A special thanks to Kathy Smart, TV Host, Chef and Nutritionist of "Live The Smart Way" TV show - North America's fir...
Holy Crap is a favourite among athletes as well. Sunshine Coast local, Kyla Richey of Robert's Creek, BC, is on the C...
Holy Crap Energy Balls
Holy Crap cereal Energy Balls are a great post-workout or mid-afternoon snack. Corin loves dates, and she uses them i...