Chocolate truffles are named for their shape, which is said to resemble the highly prized fruit of the Tuber fungus. But the similarities end there. These creamy, rich sweets are perfect with a cup of coffee or a glass of port. Allow them to soften slightly before serving.
Servings: 50 truffles
- 2 cups vegan semisweet chocolate chips (buy the best quality you can)
- ¾ cup coconut milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ –¾ tsp salt
- 1 cup Holy Crap Apple Cinnamon or Natural Superseed Blend cereal
- Cocoa powder for rolling (use coconut or finely chopped nuts for variations)
- In a double boiler, melt the chocolate chips on low heat, stirring frequently. Stir the coconut milk into the melted chocolate until smooth, then stir in the vanilla and salt. Remove from the heat and stir in the Holy Crap Apple Cinnamon or Natural Superseed Blend cereal. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour (or overnight).
- Place the cocoa in a shallow bowl. (If you are making several variations, place the coconut and nuts in their own individual bowls.)
- Shape the truffles by scooping a teaspoonful of the chocolate mixture into your hands and rolling it between your hands to form a ball. Roll the ball in the cocoa powder and set aside. Repeat with the remaining chocolate mixture.
- Transfer the truffles to an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 1 week. Let them come to room temperature before serving.
NUTRITION FACTS: PER 15 G SERVING (1 TRUFFLE). Calories (70) Total Fat (3 g) Total Carbohydrates (7 g) Dietary Fibre (2 g) Protein (3 g)