This delicious Roasted Squash and Walnut spread recipe made with Skinny B cereal was adapted from a NYT recipe. It's the perfect accompaniment to our Skinny B cracker recipe.
"This rich and creamy spread is rich in Beta Carotene and low in fat. Yum!"- Erika Weissenborn B.Sc. FNH, CHN
Makes: 2 cups
- 2 pounds winter squash, such as butternut, cut into large pieces and seeds removed
- 3 T. olive oil
- 1/2 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh mint
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/4 cup (35 g) lightly toasted walnuts, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup Parmesan, grated
- 2 T. Skinny B cereal
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Heat the oven to 425 degrees.
- Line a baking sheet with foil and oil the foil.
- Place the squash on the baking sheet and rub or toss with 1 tablespoon of the olive oil.
- Place in the oven and bake until tender, 40 to 60 minutes.
- Every 15 minutes use tongs to turn the pieces over so different surfaces become browned on the foil.
- Remove from the oven and allow cool, then peeling and placing in the bowl of a food processor fitted with the steel blade.
- Pulse several times, scrape down the sides of the bowl, then purée until smooth.
- Heat 1 T of olive oil over medium heat in a large, heavy skillet and add the onion. Add a generous pinch of salt, turn the heat to medium low and cook, stirring often, until very tender, sweet and lightly caramelized, about 20 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and add to the squash.
- Add the mint, nutmeg, walnuts, Parmesan, and 1 tablespoon olive oil and pulse together.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve on Skinny B crackers
Nutrition Facts for Squash and Walnut Spread
Plus Gluten Free Oats and Cottage Cheese Pancakes
Holy Crap Plus Gluten Free Oats pancakes with cottage cheese are very high in fiber and rich in both protein and calc...
Plus Gluten Free Oats and Banana Pancake
Holy Crap Plus Gluten Free Oats pancakes are the gateway breakfast to good health. High Fiber fills you up, Omega -3 ...
Forget Shake ‘n Bake! Enjoy this summer-time favourite, Walnut-Crusted Chicken featuring Skinny B cereal, the perfect...