Crispy Crab Cakes can be served individually as an appetizer or two or three make a delicious protein-packed meal when served on a bed of mixed greens.
Thanks to Charlene SanJenko of PowHERhouse for inspiring and supporting women through her speaker series and events and for creating the delicious crab cake recipe.
Makes: 10 - 12 crab cakes
- Olive oil cooking spray
- 2 tsp olive oil (our favorite is Sunshine Coast Olive Oil, butter flavor)
- 2 green onions, green and white parts, thinly sliced
- 1 medium green bell pepper, finely diced
- 1 jalapeño pepper, finely diced
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger root, finely grated
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lb crab claw meat, picked over (option: imitation crab meat)
- 1 tsp lime zest, finely grated (optional)
- 2-3 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves, finely chopped
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 2/3 cup Skinny B high fiber breakfast cereal by Holy Crap (pre-soaked)
- 1 pkg garlic flavoured Simply Protein chips
- Chipotle spice (optional)
- 3 tbsp olive oil mayonnaise
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/3 cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt
- 1 tsp hot chili-garlic sauce or more to taste
- Pre-soak 2/3 cup Skinny B cereal in boiling water (barely enough to cover) for 10 - 15 minutes
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Spray a baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Heat olive oil in a nonstick skillet over medium-high. Add green onions, green pepper and jalapeño and cook until peppers soften slightly about 3 minutes. Add ginger and garlic and cook for 1 minute more. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Use a food processor (I love my NINJA!) to chop up your crab meat.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine pepper-green onion mixture with crab, zest, lime juice, chopped cilantro, egg, Skinny B cereal (soaked), 1 tbsp mayonnaise and salt. Knead very well!
- Use a food processor (Did I mention, I love my NINJA!) to finely chop up your Simply Protein Chips. You are looking for a breadcrumb-ish texture. You will likely use two small bags.
- Place your “Simply Chip crumbs” on a dinner plate and add a generous dash or two of chipolte spice – mix well. Form a crab cake using about 1 1/2 tbsp crab mixture, then gently roll it in the crumbs and place on prepared baking sheet. Repeat with remaining crab mixture. (Mist tops of crab cakes with cooking spray to coat lightly, if necessary).
- Bake crab cakes until they are golden brown on the bottom, about 12-15 minutes. Gently turn them over and cook for another 12-15 minutes on the other side.
- Make Spicy Cream: In a small bowl, stir yogurt with remaining 2 tbsp mayonnaise and chili-garlic sauce.
- To serve, top each crab cake with about 1/2 tsp spicy cream and additional cilantro or herbs of your choice.
- ENJOY! Lean-eating from PowHERhouse and Holy Crap never tasted so fine!
Nutrition Facts for Skinny B Crispy Crab Cakes
NUTRITION FACTS: PER 250 G SERVING (2 CRAB CAKES PLUS 2 TBSP/30 ML SAUCE). Calories (225) Total Fat (11 g) including Omega-3 (1.5 g) and Omega-6 (1 g) Total Carbohydrates (13 g) Dietary Fibre (2 g) Protein (16 g) Provides 59% of your daily vitamin C and 31% of your daily calcium needs based on a 2000-calorie diet.