Who doesn’t like fruit and nuts together? Especially good is any fruit you’ve picked and dried yourself, either in the oven or in a food dehydrator. Make this recipe as is for breakfast or an afternoon snack, or experiment with your own combinations.
Thank you to Lisa Cantkier, founder of GlutenFreeFind.com, for contributing this recipe.
- ½ cup (120 mL) water, divided in half
- 2 Tbsp (28 g) Holy Crap cereal
- 2 eggs (or egg substitutes)
- ½ cup (120 mL) nut butter
- ¼ cup (60 mL) maple syrup
- ¼ cup (60 mL) brown sugar (optional)
- ½ tsp (3 mL) salt
- 1 cup (250 mL) gluten-free flour
- 1½ cups (350 mL) gluten-free rolled oats
- 3 Tbsp (45 mL) chopped walnuts (or pecans)
- ⅓ cup (80 mL) Medjool dates, pitted and chopped
- 3 Tbsp (45 mL) raisins
- 3 Tbsp (45 mL) dried cranberries
- Preheat the oven to 350F (175C). Spray an 8-in (20-cm) square baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- Pour ¼ cup (60 mL) water into a bowl, stir in the Holy Crap cereal and let sit for 5 minutes. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs and then add the soaked cereal. Add the nut butter, maple syrup, brown sugar (if using), salt and the remaining ¼ cup (60 mL) water and stir until well combined.
- Stir in the flour, oats, nuts, dates, raisins, and cranberries and mix well. Spread the batter evenly into the baking dish and bake for 15 to 17 minutes, until the edges become golden. Allow to cool completely before cutting into squares. The bars will keep refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 1 week.
Erika Weissenborn, B.Sc. FNH CHN for Holy Crap Cereal says, "These bars pack a powerful punch and are chock full of protein. Have one for breakfast and you will be starting your day off with all the sustenance you need! Also, perfect for an afternoon snack.
Holy Crap is a favourite among athletes as well. Sunshine Coast local, Kyla Richey of Robert's Creek, BC, is on the C...
Holy Crap Energy Balls
Holy Crap cereal Energy Balls are a great post-workout or mid-afternoon snack. Corin loves dates, and she uses them i...
Apple Cheddar Bites
Cheddar and apple are a classic pairing, and these make-ahead appetizers are perfect for entertaining. Plan to keep a...