Cheddar and apple are a classic pairing, and these make-ahead appetizers are perfect for entertaining. Plan to keep a batch of these bites in the freezer to serve when last minute guests drop by for a drink.
Makes: 40 mini-muffins
- Olive oil for oiling muffin tins
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) water
- 2 Tbsp (30 mL/28 g) Holy Crap cereal
- 2 cups (475 mL) cooked quinoa (about ¾ cup/180 mL uncooked)
- 1 cup (250 mL) grated green apple
- 2/3cup (160 mL) grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 large eggs
- Salt to taste Sprigs of parsley, for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 350F (175C). Lightly oil two 24-cup mini-muffin tins.
- Pour the water into a bowl, stir in the Holy Crap cereal and let sit for 5 minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine the cooked quinoa and grated green apple until well mixed. Add the cheese and stir gently until evenly incorporated.
- Using a whisk, mix the eggs into the soaked cereal until well combined. Pour into the quinoa mixture and stir until evenly combined. Season with salt to taste.
- Drop 1 Tbsp (15 mL) of batter into each cup of a mini-muffin tin and bake for 12 to 14 minutes, or until the edges begin to brown.
- Allow to cool in the tins for 5 minutes before unmolding. Serve warm, topped with a sprig of parsley. Leftovers will keep refrigerated in an airtight container for several days.
Nutrition Facts for Apple Cheddar Bites
NUTRITION FACTS: PER 13 G SERVING (1 MINI-MUFFIN). Calories (30) Total Fat (2.5 g) including Omega-3 (62 mg) and Omega-6 (50 mg) Total Carbohydrates (3 g) Dietary Fibre (1 g) Protein (1 g)
Holy Crap Energy Balls
Holy Crap cereal Energy Balls are a great post-workout or mid-afternoon snack. Corin loves dates, and she uses them i...
Coconut Rice Pudding
A favorite winter dessert around our house is this creamy coconut rice pudding. It's a healthier, and tastier version...
This simple smoothie is perfect for spring when your garden (or the local farmers’ market) is overflowing with rhubar...